Parents’ College Planning Timelines
- Help your student connect with an adult who has a job that your child is interested in.
- Provide the financial information so your child may complete and receive a personalized Getting the Facts – Your Personalized College Guide on kheaa.com.
- Discuss with your student the important factors in choosing a college so your student can find the type of school that interests him or her.
- Get an early estimate of your student’s eligibility for federal student financial aid using the FAFSA4Caster. It will also give you an idea of how much your family will be expected to pay for your child’s college education.
- Help your student search and apply for private scholarships. Be wary of possible scams.
- Attend job fairs, college nights and financial aid nights with your student. Check into such career options as apprenticeships and internships.
- Sometime in the summer, students should sign into their MyKheaa accounts to make sure their name, address, Social Security number and GPAs are correct and to find out how much KEES money they earned. If any information is wrong, they should contact their school counselor.
- If you haven’t started a college savings account, do so as soon as possible. You can encourage your student to do the same.
- Encourage participation in summer activities to develop teamwork, leadership and commitment skills.