Parents’ College Planning Timelines
- If you haven’t started a college savings account, do so as soon as possible. You can encourage your student to do the same.
- Since Advanced Placement and honors courses usually require prerequisites your child must take as a sophomore, discuss those classes with your child and the school counselor.
- Discuss the PLAN test with your student. Kentucky requires all sophomores in public high schools to take the PLAN. It’s good practice for the ACT public school students must take as juniors.
- Continue to make sure your student is taking the appropriate classes and is doing well in them.
- Help your student to evaluate his or her abilities and make the connection between education and career options.
- Discuss with your student and counselor the classes your student should take next year to meet his or her education goals.
- Discuss post-high school plans and the different types of postsecondary schools with your student.
- Research colleges online, and visit some colleges so your student can get a feel for what college is like. This will help your student in choosing the best college fit.
- Review and evaluate goals, activities and education plans with your student in the Kentucky of KHEAA ILP. Make necessary changes and updates.
- Encourage participation in summer activities to develop teamwork, leadership and commitment skills.
- Sometime in the summer, students should sign into their MyKheaa accounts to make sure their name, address, Social Security number and GPAs are correct and to find out how much KEES money they earned. If any information is wrong, they should contact their school counselor.