Paying for College
Use your money to pay for college, not scholarship searches
Most information about scholarships is available for free.
Scholarship search companies may charge hundreds, even thousands, of dollars to give you a list of scholarships. That’s money better spent paying for college. With a little detective work, you can find financial aid sources yourself. Here’s how:
- Use the free Federal Student Aid Scholarship Search.
- Kentucky or Alabama version of Affording Higher Education to explore financial aid programs for Kentucky and Alabama students.
- Talk with your guidance counselor.
- Talk with a financial aid advisor at the college you plan to attend.
- Attend free financial aid workshops offered by your school and local colleges.
- Don’t confuse those free workshops with "free" ones offered by companies, often at local motel conference rooms. The "free" part is a come on to get you to sign up for expensive consultant services.