KEES for Registered Apprentices and Qualified Workforce Trainees
High school graduates participating in an approved registered apprenticeship or qualified workforce training program may choose to request reimbursement of approved expenses from their KEES earnings instead of having the funds sent to an eligible Kentucky college or university.
To qualify for reimbursement, a person must:
- Be a Kentucky high school graduate
- Have earned a KEES award that has not expired
- KEES is available for up to five (5) years from high school graduation, receipt of a bachelor's degree, or scholarship receipt for eight (8) semesters, whichever comes first.
- Complete the process to opt into reimbursement (see below)
- For registered apprentices only
- Be currently participating in a registered apprenticeship program approved through the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet
- For qualified workforce trainees only
- Be currently enrolled at an approved site in a qualified workforce training program that is in one of Kentucky's top five high-demand work sectors (currently Advanced Manufacturing, Business/IT, Construction, Healthcare, and Transportation).
- Items required for the graduate's registered apprenticeship or qualified workforce training program
- Those items include, but are not limited to, equipment, required tools, licensures, tuition and books, and uniforms.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses may be requested, not to exceed $500 per year.
- The total reimbursed each year cannot exceed the total KEES earned during high school.
- Reimbursement may be requested for up to four years, within the first five years following high school graduation.
- For registered apprentices - Complete a Registered Apprentice Pathway form and submit to KHEAA.
- For qualified workforce trainees - Complete a Qualified Workforce Trainee Pathway form and submit to KHEAA.
- Note: a form is only required if a registered apprentice or qualified workforce trainee wants to receive reimbursement. Nothing needs to be submitted if KEES funds are to be paid directly to an eligible Kentucky college or university.
Reimbursement request process:
- STEP 1: Pay apprenticeship or workforce training expenses out of pocket. Be sure to keep itemized receipts for proof of purchase.
- STEP 2: Submit legible, itemized receipts and the appropriate form to KHEAA for either the Registered Apprenticeship Reimbursement or Qualified Workforce Training Reimbursement.
Reimbursement request deadline:
- All requests for reimbursement from the period ranging from July 2021 to May 2022 must be submitted to KHEAA with a postmark dated on or before June 15, 2022.
Questions regarding the KEES Registered Apprenticeship or Qualified Workforce Training Programs should be sent to email@example.com.