Selecting a College
Many college students end up transferring from one school to another. Some students plan it that way, going to a two-year school to complete their basics, then finishing up at a four-year school. Others find the school they chose really isn’t the best fit for them, or perhaps family circumstances changed. The first thing to remember is that not all credits and grades will necessarily transfer.
If you're attending a Kentucky Community and Technical College System school and plan to transfer to a four-year public university, visit knowhow2transfer.org/ to do the following:
- Learn how your courses transfer. Search the course catalogs of Kentucky's colleges and universities to view equivalencies.
- Chart your bachelor's degree. See how your KCTCS degree applies towards a bachelor's degree at a four‐year university.
- See the Transfer Planning Guide to answer any other questions about the transfer process.
- Discover the many scholarships and other incentives you have as a prospective transfer student at http://knowhow2goky.org/kh2t/transfer_scholarships.php. This list includes scholarships available at many private colleges and universities in Kentucky.
- Access Go2Transfer, a transfer advising service from KCTCS to help make your transition a smooth and successful one.
If you still have questions about transferring, you can also talk with your college advisor or visit the Kentucky Virtual Campus at www.kyvc.org under the "select a degree" tab.
You should also check out what financial aid is available to transfer students. Here are links to transfer scholarship information:
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Kentucky Community and Technical College System
- Kentucky State University
- Morehead State University
- Murray State University
- Northern Kentucky University
- University of Kentucky
- University of Louisville
- Western Kentucky University
If you have more questions, each college has a contact person who can answer your questions about transferring. Also, you can use our transfer checklist to help the process go more smoothly.