Parents’ College Planning Timelines
- Keep up with how your student is doing in school. If any problems crop up, talk with the appropriate teacher or the school counselor.
- Help your student learn how to set realistic goals and how to track them using the ILP. Praise your student for hard work and effort even if he or she doesn’t meet a goal.
- Encourage your student to continue working on study and time management skills.
- Encourage participation in clubs, teams and other activities to develop teamwork, leadership and commitment.
- If you haven’t started a college savings account, do so as soon as possible. You can encourage your student to do the same.
- Ask your student’s counselor about the EXPLORE test, which the state requires all public school eighth-graders to take.