KEES for Registered Apprentices
High school graduates participating in an approved registered apprenticeship program may choose to request reimbursement of approved apprenticeship expenses from their KEES earnings instead of having the funds sent to an eligible Kentucky college or university.
To qualify, a registered apprentice must:
- Be a Kentucky high school graduate
- Have earned a KEES award that has not expired
- KEES is available for up to five (5) years from high school graduation, receipt of a bachelor's degree, or scholarship receipt for eight (8) semesters, whichever comes first.
- Participate in a registered apprenticeship program approved through the Kentucky Labor Cabinet
- Complete the process to opt into reimbursement (see below)
- Items required for the graduate's registered apprenticeship
- Those items include, but are not limited to, equipment, required tools, licensures, tuition and books, and uniforms.
- Reimbursement for travel expenses may be requested, not to exceed $500 per year.
- The total reimbursed each year cannot exceed the total KEES earned during high school.
- Reimbursement may be requested for up to four years, within the first five years following high school graduation.
- Complete a Registered Apprentice Reimbursement Pathway form and submit to KHEAA.
- Note: a form is only required if a registered apprentice wants to receive reimbursement. Nothing needs to be submitted if KEES funds are to be paid directly to an eligible Kentucky college or university.
Reimbursement request process:
- STEP 1: Pay apprenticeship expenses out of pocket. Be sure to keep receipts for proof of purchase.
- STEP 2: Submit a Registered Apprenticeship Reimbursement Form and legible, itemized receipts to KHEAA.
Reimbursement request deadline:
- All requests for reimbursement from the period ranging from July 2019 to May 2020 must be submitted to KHEAA with a postmark dated on or before June 1, 2020.
Questions regarding the KEES Registered Apprenticeship Program should be sent to email@example.com.